15 Nov Why Modernize The .NET Applications With AWS?
In one of our previous blogs, we talked about how you can select .Net Core with React in Digital Product Engineering to build a robust and scalable product. Nowadays, many organizations want to modernize their legacy .Net framework applications to achieve better agility, scalability, and save the cost of their cloud-native applications.
To make things a little easier, we again on one of our previous blogs have given a step-by-step guide to migrate applications from the .Net framework to .Net Core. Before we go ahead and talk about modernizing applications in offshore software product development with .Net Core using AWS, let us first try and understand the concept of modernization.
What Is Modernization?
Modernization refers to the re-platforming of applications that are majorly legacy enterprise ones by bringing together the latest infrastructure, architecture, and various organizational patterns. It will help you to increase your application’s resilience, engineering efficiency, agility in terms of business, and operational excellence.
If we look at the.NEt platform, it has evolved greatly from the .NET framework to .NET Core and then to .NET 5. If you wish to modernize your .NET legacy applications, you can do that anytime and then take full benefits of the application’s performance and robustness.
To modernize your legacy .NET Core apps on AWS you should first understand the importance of AWS to carry out this process. AWS is a platform that will rightly empower your .NET developers to go beyond the limits and build .NET applications for the future. These apps can be developed on the innovative AWS Cloud. You can easily develop high-performing .NET apps by leveraging AWS’s services and solutions especially in Machine Learning, serverless, databases, containers, etc. AWS offers certain tools to the .NET developers to make it more productive with .NET on the AWS platform. To take more advantage of your AWS’s performance you can ask your .NET 5 and. NET developers leverage Linux, this will help you save more cost.
Before, we analyze the why part of modernizing the .NET applications with AWS, let’s look into some of the major challenges that IT organizations face when it comes to modernizing the applications.
Major Modernization Challenges Faced By IT Organizations
- Pressure to raise the innovation velocity
- High cost of maintaining the legacy applications
- Scaling related challenges to fulfill the business needs
- Monolithic architectures facing high technical debt
- Security and operational resilience-related maintenance
- Challenges related to dynamic scaling
Why Modernize Legacy .NET Applications With AWS?
AWS is the only major cloud provider that allows .NET 5 to run on the ARM64 architecture system. When this collaborates with AWS Graviton2, the clients will be able to get a better price and high performance over the current generation of x86-based instances.
The other benefit of moving your .NET Framework applications to a .NET on Linux in comparison to other platforms is because of more overlap in the existing APIs and packages. To avoid the efforts required to re-write the applications, AWS came up with a Porting Assistant for the .NET tool. The purpose of this tool is to assist you in quickly porting the .NET applications to Linux.
So, before you choose AWS as your cloud platform, it is quite important to know the reasons before you make the decision.
Why Choose AWS As Your Cloud Platform during application engineering and modernization?
- Location: AWS is available in 44 multiple zones and 16 geographical locations. The servers are easily accessible from any country.
- Recovery System: It has a strong and well-defined disaster recovery system comprising a plan for organizations of any size.
- Enhanced Security: Offers better security to protect the virtual things hosted on it. The data centers, as well as the servers, are made up of various layers of operational security.
- Scalability: With its auto-scaling and elastic load balancing tools the scaling is made easier while your application delivers high performance. It has a huge infrastructure that offers computing resources based on the user’s requirements.
- Flexibility: With the flexibility, it has to offer, any user can select the operating system, programming language, web application platform, database, and other services based on the requirements.
- Cost-Effective: It offers pay-as-you-go pricing models and the user is not asked to pay large subscription fees for the resources that they don’t intend to utilize.
With .NET Core cross-platform functionality, enhanced performance, unification of development models, new health checks API, integrated dependency injection, and more features that it has to offer. You can modernize your application on the cloud platform with AWS easily. In our next blog, we will talk about how you can implement or carry out the process of modernizing the .NET applications by leveraging AWS. We will explain the entire process in our upcoming blog. Till then, stay connected.