The Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) is a subdivision of the Internet of Things (IoT). Like the Internet of Things, this technology is made up of interconnected devices and applications over the internet that solely serves the Healthcare Industry. The Internet of Medical Things connects the patients, the doctors, other medical professionals and medical devices – including hospital equipment, diagnostic devices, and wearable gears – by transmitting data over secured networks.
Popularly called the Healthcare IoT, the Internet of Medical Things, much like the Internet of Things, make extensive use of automation, machine-based intelligence and sensor-based intelligence; with the objective to reduce reliance on human involvement during routine health monitoring process or standard medical procedures.
How does the Internet of Medical Things benefit us?
The Internet of Medical Things, just like the Internet of Things, holds many benefits specifically for the patients and the healthcare professionals.
Remote Medical Services:
The basics of the Internet of Medical Things are to be able to collect or capture medical data anywhere and anytime. IoMT devices can capture real-time information about a patient’s health and transmit them over a secured network to the Doctor.
This can happen without the patient needing to visit the Doctor’s office. Such things benefit the most patients who are unable to move. Also, in a situation where the Doctor’s office is in a different city, the Internet of Medical Things is a great tool.
Personalized and precision diagnoses:
Many of the IoMT devices are used to track the patient’s vital signs in real-time. They make a detailed and in-depth observation of the patient’s vital signs to an impossible level during the short visit to the Doctor’s office. The Internet of Medical Things also curates the collected information, allowing the Doctor to make more informed decisions on the patient’s health. This enables the Doctor to create a more personalized and effective treatment plan for the patient.
Empowerment to the Patients:
With the IoMT wearable gears, patients can also have real-time updated information about their vitals. Otherwise, they could have only obtained by visiting a doctor’s office. The real-time information enables the patient to adjust their lifestyle as per health conditions.
Like the patients, the Healthcare providers also benefit from the Internet of Medical Things.
Improved Patient Monitoring:
Constant round-the-clock monitoring of their health is essential for chronically or seriously ill patients. With the IoMT devices, Doctors and other Medical Professionals can keep track of the patient’s health condition remotely without being physically present.
The Internet of Medical Things improves Hospital operations by giving the administrators a more accessible and centralized control over the devices and equipment in their facilities. The IoMT devices provide them with more visibility into their facilities’ current medical service environment. The Internet of Medical Things creates the opportunity for hospitals to involve doctors through robotic surgical aids.
Control over the Costs:
IoMT technologies, such as remote patient monitoring, enable Hospitals to keep tabs on their human resource involvement, which is subsequently helping them in keep control of their costs.
Some Popular IoMT devices:
The advantage of the Internet of Medical Things has made way for several different devices in the market. Following are some of the most popular devices among them:
- Medical-grade wearable– Regulated and clinical level devices or products made use of under the supervision of a medical specialist. These devices are designed to improve physical performance, manage pain, take care of all health issues and resolve them.
- (PERS) Personal emergency response systems-Wearable devices give scope to patients or the elderly to quickly ask for help from health care providers during an emergency.
- (RPM) Remote patient monitoring devices– Systems and devices that help manage various types of chronic diseases. These devices are placed in the homes of those patients who are undergoing a long term treatment process.
- Point-of-care kiosks and devices– Several mobile devices ranging from blood glucose meters to ultrasound machines help get health data and diagnostic information. This process is carried out whether they are in the field or in the Doctor’s chamber. The entire process is easily possible without the presence of a full laboratory.
- In-clinic monitors– Just like the point-of-care devices; they can also be managed without the need of a full laboratory by a care provider on-site.
- Smart pills-A new category that is gradually coming up is a segment of devices that can be swallowed by the patients and transmit data wirelessly bout the internal organs of a patient to the health professionals.
IoMT is the predicted future. The various technologies of IoMT are already in being. They are making a distinct difference for millions, allowing them to have a better control over their health conditions. And, improve communication with care providers. IoMT also allows the medical professionals and physicians to make faster and better diagnoses without the patient present in person. Finally, the financial savings of IoMT is increasing gradually.